Updated 10122019 Ms.Purcell’s class have been busy making a hedgehog hut for the local park. We are working with the Tidy towns and hoping that we will get the gold this year. We are also going to make some bird feeders for our school grounds.
Updated November 2019
Green Schools 2019 +
To help Scoil Bhríde stay environmentally friendly, this year; our Green Schools committee have introduced some new green tactics!
- We now have certain areas around the school that are known as our “Wild Flower Areas”. This is to encourage biodiversity on our grounds with the focus on attracting and maintaining certain insects throughout the school year.
- Flower bombs will also be sown to help make these areas more attractive for our insect friends.
- We plan to grow more organic vegetables in our garden.
- Scoil Bhríde is a plastic bottle free school. Please ensure drink bottles are reusable.
- Waste from lunches should be brought home daily.
- We will be starting our “Walk on Wednesdays” throughout the year as well as continuing to monitor “Score on the Door” for each class every week.
- Doors and windows should be closed during lunch time. Interactive boards and lights should be turned off during this time too. Our energy monitors are on patrol. Watch out!!
- We are making an effort to preserve wildlife by leaving it a little later before cutting grass, leaving it a tad longer and leaving some areas around the edges alone so as to facilitate butterflies, bees and meadows. We are not using sprays or weed killers as much as possible. Any ideas and contributions to this endeavour are most welcome.
Useful Websites and Books with Thanks to Inishbofin and Galway Marine institute
www.explorers.ie : Explorers Lesson plans, planning guides, teacher resources and news
https://www.facebook.com/ExplorersMarineEducation/ Facebook page
We are also on Twitter @explorersedu
www.leavenotraceireland.orq : the Leave No Trace programme
www.sailing.ie — tide tables
http://www.marinedimensions.ie/index.php?id=869 — Marine Dimensions website —
report findings of mermaid's purses — shark eggs
www.iwdg.ie — info on Irish Whales and Dolphins
https://www.ted.com/talks/david gallo shows underwater astonishments - video of underwater animals, squid and octopus and cuttlefish
http://www.arkive.orq/ - website about wildlife
https://www youtube.com/watch?v=017bBeXhYz4 — Marlisco Video — Impact of Marine Litter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLgh9h2ePYw — Life of a plastic bag — mockumentary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtfAhy21gAA- 2 minutes on marine litter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLg2NMizh20 — ocean acidification cartoon www.primaryscience.ie — great science activities
http://www.digitalocean.ie/- brilliant examples of underwater technology — data and shipwrecks
http://cleancoasts.org/ - Cleancoast website
http://www.rediscoverycentre.ie/news/rediscover-home-series/ Recycling and upcycling in BaileMunna, Co. Átha Cliath