Dear Parents/ Guardians,
John Murray will give a presentation on Internet Safety and Cyber Bullying to pupils from 3rd to 6th attending Scoil Bhríde on Thursday, 17th October 2019. This will be followed by a 7.30 p.m. presentation to parents. These talks take the format of a PowerPoint Presentation, examining the latest research in this area. John has experience in both primary and post primary schools. He is the former ICT Advisor for Waterford Teachers' Centre. He holds a BA Degree, Higher Diploma in Education, Post Graduate Diploma in ICT in Education and an MA in Education. John is also fully registered with the Teaching Council.
This presentation will include video clips to reinforce points made during the presentation. Great emphasis will be placed on mobile phone safety issues, including the law relating to online harassment. These talks include video clips analysing social networking and gaming sites, including SnapChat, Instagram, Sarahah and Roblox. He also discusses the latest research findings in this area. Each parent is given a CD-ROM containing these and other resources. The presentation will last for approximately 1 hour, followed by a question and answer session. The main points discussed will be:
- Digital Age of Consent in Ireland. Is it relevant without age verification?
- The law and the Internet (Online Harassment and Cyber Bullying).
- Legal steps that can be taken to deal with Online Harassment and Cyber Stalking.
- Social Networking and Gaming Sites, including Fortnite,Twitch, Sarahah, SnapChat, Instagram, Roblox and the latest trends in this area.
- How to monitor your home computers, laptops, tablets, mobile phones, using an array of software, such as Mobicip, Net Nanny, Quostodian and Mobiflock (Mobile Guardian).
- Educating children to be aware of online racism, homophobia, grooming and indoctrination.
- Basic common sense rules to keep children safe, while using the Internet.
Thursday, 17th October 2019 Presentation to Parents starts at 19.30.
Kind Regards, Brendan Kelleher & Staff